College Scholarship Program
With the increased survival rate of children with cancer, a new opportunity emerges — the opportunity for the cancer survivor to achieve his or her dreams. For many, the financial impact from a cancer diagnosis puts higher education out of reach.
The Camp Rainbow Gold College Scholarship Program provides young adults with a history of cancer that have attended Camp Rainbow Gold Oncology Camp or served as a Junior Counselor, an opportunity to pursue post-secondary education, fulfill their dreams and realize their full potential.
Scholarship eligibility requirements
College-bound or college-enrolled students who meet all of the following criteria are eligible to apply for the Camp Rainbow Gold College Scholarship Program.
- Must be diagnosed with cancer before the age of 21. Applicants must be age 25 or younger at the time of application.
- Scheduled to graduate from high school and/or continuing college in the upcoming school year.
- Must be a U.S. citizen and a resident of Idaho.
- Accepted without condition to an accredited university, college, community college or vocational technical school.
- Must have a 2.0 GPA or above.
- Must become a full-time student at an accredited university, college, community college or vocation technical school in the upcoming academic year.
- Must have been affiliated with Camp Rainbow Gold as a camper or a junior counselor.
- All applications must be completed by January 30th (This includes all online fields and both letters of recommendation)
Click here to apply for the Camp Rainbow Gold Scholarship Program.
Offered at up to $5,000 increments per year, the Camp Rainbow Gold College Scholarship program provides a possible lifetime award of up to $20,000 per student. After the initial award, scholarship renewal in subsequent years is based on successfully meeting program eligibility requirements, continuous academic achievement, and level of commitment as a Camp Rainbow Gold volunteer.
The number of scholarships available is determined by donations for the program. Due to limited resources, Camp Rainbow Gold is not able to award scholarships to all cancer survivors. After initial award, scholars are not guaranteed a scholarship annually, and will need to reapply each year.
Criteria for selection
All scholarships are awarded at the discretion of the Camp Rainbow Gold volunteer scholarship committee and are based on the following weighted criteria:
- Community Service/Activities: Based on a composite of extracurricular activities, community involvement, any honors or awards received, and involvement with Camp Rainbow Gold.
- Long and Short Essays: Based on a composite of long-term career plans, determination to reach goals, expression and organization of thought.
- Letters of Recommendation.
- GPA/Academic Accomplishments: Based on the overall high school GPA as well as GPA from any college level experience, and any academic honors or awards received.
Note: Scholarships may be used for enrollment and attendance tuition, fees, and books required for course instruction at an accredited university, college, community college or vocational/technical school.